When it comes to the end of a long day, there’s nothing better than just kicking your feet up in your favorite comfortable chair. When it comes to picking a good chair, we’d argue that an upholstered rocking chair is without a doubt your best option. It provides both style and fantastic levels of comfort. What’s not to love?
With so many different upholstered rocking chair options available out there, we’ve compiled a series of reviews to help you decide on the best chair. We’ve also included a wealth of other handy information to help you get started in picking the best chair.
What is an upholstered rocking chair?
We started this article by describing upholstered rocking chairs as one of the most comfortable and best-looking pieces of furniture you can buy. However, you might still be wondering what exactly an upholstered rocking chair.
In essence, an upholstered rocking chair is exactly what it says on the tin. You’ve likely come across a rocking chair in the past; it’s a wooden chair that’s designed to rock. The actual chair can be made of any number of different types of wood. Which kind of wood you choose in your rocking chair will largely depend on the amount of money you have to spend and the style of the environment that you’re looking to place the rocking chair.
Different rocking chairs are better in different places. You’re likely aware of the traditional image for a rocking chair, out on the front porch. However, you’ll also find rocking chairs designed for use in your living room or bedroom. Upholstered rocking chairs tend to be more the latter rather than the former. Though that’s pretty apparent considering, they’re upholstered, and you wouldn’t want the chair getting wet outside.
An upholstered variant of the rocking chair quite merely means that the chair has been designed with padded cushioning. Most traditional rocking chairs have you sitting on the uncomfortable wooden structure. However, upholstered rocking chairs are designed to be padded with soft cushioning to provide comfort and a quality design in your home.
If you’ve avoided mainly buying an upholstered rocking chair because you don’t know what one is, now might be the time to invest. An upholstered rocking chair is a lot simpler than you might think.
Why should you buy an upholstered rocking chair?
Now you’re aware of what precisely an upholstered rocking chair is, you might be wondering why you should buy one. Why should you opt to put an upholstered rocking chair in your living room or bedroom over another different type of chair?
There are a good few answers to that question. The most prominent of those answers is the fact that upholstered rocking chairs are incredibly stylish. This style comes from the fact that they’re unique. If you visit any friend’s house, you’re guaranteed not to find an upholstered rocking chair. With that in mind, it’s an impressive piece of furniture to have around the house next time you have guests visiting. It’s an incredibly bold furniture choice and one that shows you really care about the style of your home. Plus, we absolutely love the fact that you can quickly just fall back and collapse into an upholstered rocking chair.
If there’s one thing that you’re likely aware about a rocking chair, it’s that they’re incredibly uncomfortable to sit on. However, when you opt with an upholstered variant, you’ll quickly find that it’s an awful lot more comfortable than a non-cushioned option. The upholstery used in the creation of most rocking chairs is incredibly padded. With that in mind, you have a chair here that you can comfortably sit on for hours. At the same time though, the upholstery means that this isn’t a type of rocking chair to sit out on the front porch. An upholstered rocking chair is a fully fledged piece of furniture to sit on.
There’s no denying that an upholstered rocking chair looks and feels fantastic. However, one of the reasons why many people invest in such a chair are the health benefits. A rocking chair is still one of the simplest answers to some health concerns.
Rocking chairs have been found to be of particular use to those suffering from dementia. Research has found that the rocking motion provided by most rocking chairs and upholstered rocking chairs releases certain endorphins in dementia suffers. This elevates their mood and helps to generally soothe them. If you know somebody living with dementia, a good upholstered rocking chair might be the best gift you can buy them. At the same time, your rocking chair will work to generally increase balance and ease back pain.
Speaking of using a rocking chair to release back pain, it is widely believed that US President John F. Kennedy actually used a rocking chair to relieve back pain. You should find that an upholstered option provides even great relief for back pain because of the soft cushioning. This will also in turn provide relief for arthritis and other pains across your body.
What to look for in an upholstered rocking chair?
Before we take a look at some of our favourite products when it comes to upholstered rocking chairs on the market, there’s first a few things that you’ll want to take into consideration. Here’s what to look for in an upholstered rocking chair.
When it comes to making sure that you buy a good upholstered rocking chair, you’ll first want to take into careful consideration the different varieties of rocking chair available. We won’t go into great detail around each of the different types, but you’ll want to keep them in mind when it comes to finding the right upholstered rocking chair for you. The key different varieties of rocking chair available include traditional chairs, platform rockers and gliders. There are a range of other different types available, however, you’ll find that some of them including outdoor rocking chairs won’t come in an upholstered variety.
At the same time, you’ll also want to know what you’re buying in terms of the upholstery of your rocking chair. There’s a range of different materials and styles available; if you have a specific interior design style to stick to, you’ll want to keep that in consideration when it comes to buying your upholstered rocking chair.
Speaking about the rocking chair in general, you’ll find that like with most furniture products, there’s a range of different brands selling this type of product. It might be the case that you already have a favourite brand. If that’s the case, you may wish to stick with this brand. However, we’ve featured some of the best brands in the products below.
Our final point to take into consideration when it comes to buying an upholstered rocking chair is the foot rest. You’ll find that some rocking chair options will actually include a matching foot rest for you to use with the chair. However, other rocking chairs won’t include this. You’ll need to carefully consider whether or not you need this foot rest before deciding if you should invest in a foot rest.
We’re now into the part of the article where we present you with some pretty solid choices when it comes to picking your upholstered rocking chair. The first of those choices is from Furniture of America and is their signature rocking chair. At first, this antique oak piece of furniture looks like a pretty standard affair, but there’s actually a lot more to it than just that. We love the chair’s design, build quality and pretty much everything else about it.
When it comes to an upholstered rocking chair, you’ll want to make sure that you’re getting the best possible build quality out of your furniture. We can definitely say that this chair from Furniture of America provides just that. The chair is made with a solid wood structure with an antique oak finish. It goes without saying that using antique oak to construct this chair would have made it incredibly expensive, so we’re happy with the compromise of an antique oak finish that Furniture of America have opted for.
The upholstered fabric is also top notch too. It’s a dark beige fabric that covers the back, seat and arms of the chair. We’ve noticed that with some rocking chairs on the market, the upholstered fabric doesn’t properly cover the arms. However, it’s nice to see the attention to detail that Furniture of America have paid here. You’re paying for an upholstered chair, so the manufacturer have made sure that the entire chair is upholstered. At the same time though, it would have been nice to see the upholstery a little more cushioned. If you plan on sitting in your rocking chair for a fair amount of time, you might want a little bit more comfort than that provided by this Betty Rocking Chair.
Pros of this upholstered rocking chair:
- Unlike some other upholstered rocking chairs, it’s nice to see that Furniture of America have decided to cover the entirety of their rocking chair with upholstery. We don’t always see the arms of a chair upholstered, which makes a nice difference.
- Dark beige colouring of the fabric used to upholster the rocking chair won’t look out of place in any home. This is clearly a colour designed to suit any environment, so it doesn’t matter if you place the chair in your living room, bedroom or conservatory.
- 30 day replacement parts warranty. If you have any issues with this rocking chair within 30 days of purchasing the product, Furniture of America promise to replace any parts that have broken or the chair if need be.
Cons of this upholstered rocking chair:
- The cushioning of the upholstery on this upholstered rocking chair is a little light, particularly in some areas, including the arms. If you plan on sitting on your upholstered rocking chair for a long period of time, you might not find it all that comfortable.
- Despite the name of this product being from Furniture of America, you’d be surprised to learn that this piece of furniture is made in China. Because of this, you’re not guaranteed the quality of a product made right here.
If the first product we reviewed in this article is something of a traditional upholstered rocking chair, this option from is incredibly different in terms of what it offers. As you can likely tell from an image of the product, this looks and feels more like a traditional sofa but on rocking legs. Because of that, you can likely imagine that the product is going to provide a great level of comfort than other options available on the market.
One of the things we’ve mentioned with the aforementioned product is the fact that the chair was a little lacking in terms of upholstery in some areas. However, there’s definitely no risk of that being a problem with this chair from Nursery Works. As we’ve already mentioned, it looks and feels like a normal piece of furniture. This is largely helped by the range of different materials used in the construction of this chair, comprised of 75% polyester, 10% linen and 15% viscose. Each of these materials coupled together make for a pretty impressive and fantastic quality product.
The rocking chair also looks great too. We’ve reviewed the Pebble colour variant of the product, but you’ll also find options in a range of different colours, including Charcoal, Hazelnut and Oatmeal. Whichever option you choose to go with, you’re definitely guaranteed to be getting a piece of furniture that will look great throughout your house.
We also shouldn’t forget the legs either. Obviously this is a rocking chair, so you can imagine that the legs of this chair are designed to rock. But that doesn’t mean Nursery Works have designed this chair with clunky legs – they still look absolutely elegant in ash hardwood. In all, elegant is a name that pretty much sums up this Sleepy Time Rocker chair.
Pros of this upholstered rocking chair:
- Designed with comfort in mind. Whilst some upholstered rocking chairs look fantastic, they’re often lacking in comfort. Because this chair follows a standard furniture design, you can expect great comfort levels.
- Nice range of colours available. It doesn’t matter what style you’re looking to suit in your home or what room you plan on putting the rocking chair in, you’ll find a colour option amongst this range that will suit what you’re looking for.
- Includes a lumbar pillow to provide a good level of support to your back. When it comes to rocking chairs, the back is often overlooked. However, you’ll find plenty of support for your back and surrounding area with the included lumbar pillow.
Cons of this upholstered rocking chair:
- The picture of this product can be a little misleading in terms of the colour of the legs of the actual product that you receive. In the picture of the product, the legs of the chair appear to be a rick dark colour, however, they’re actually much lighter in the physical. However, this shouldn’t be too much of an issue.
- Whilst we have already mentioned that this chair is available in a nice range of colours and these colours are nice. However, they’re all very much the same. There’s no great variation in colours, which is something you might want to be aware of.
Just one look at this Dorel Asia Swivel Glider and you can quite easily tell that this is a rocking chair designed with comfort in mind. It goes without saying that the chair is not blessed in terms of design. But if you’re not looking for a standout design but just a good level of comfort in your rocking chair, this might be the option for you.
We’ve already mentioned that Baby Relax have put a huge emphasis on comfort with this rocking swivel chair and you can definitely tell that by just looking at it. The large areas of soft padding that comprise this chair are sure to provide an incredibly comfortable place to relax at the end of an incredibly long day. Although, as aforementioned, that level of comfort also brings with it a certain amount of compromise when it comes to design. From the Dark Taupe colouring choice of this rocking chair to the pretty square design, this isn’t a very attracting chair design. With that in mind, it might be a piece of furniture best kept to be hidden away in your private area to relax and not an area where you entertain guests.
The design may be pretty bland, but it’s still nice to see that Baby Relax haven’t compromised in terms of build quality. The chair uses 100% polyester fabric in the aforementioned Dark Taupe colouring. Whilst this may not look incredibly stylish, it is easy to wipe off and clean. With that in mind, you might imagine that this is a chair perfectly designed to sit in the nursery, where your kids can spill whatever on it.
It’s also worth mentioning that the Dorel Asia Swivel Glider advertises a maximum weight capacity of 225 lbs; which is something to keep in mind when buying.
Pros of this upholstered rocking chair:
- Without a doubt one of the most comfortable options available when it comes to rocking chairs. The incredibly soft padding is a lot more comfortable than most of the options we’ve come across, with levels of comfort just like a normal armchair.
- Doesn’t only rock but also swivels. There’s not a lot of use for swivelling functionality on a day to day basis but it can still be handy from time to time and looks good too. All assembling to the fact that this is a perfect chair to stick in the nursery.
- Unlike other rocking chairs that we’ve reviewed, this one actually comes largely assembled. If you’re not able to do any of the hard work for yourself, it might be a good choice to opt for something already assembled like this chair.
Cons of this upholstered rocking chair:
- Incredibly bland design. This is something that we’ve discussed at length throughout this review, but the design of this chair is pretty dull and uninspiring. If you’re not looking for design, this might be a good option, but otherwise, it’s a pretty unimpressive option that you might wish to avoid.
- Maximum weight capacity of 225 lbs, meaning you’ll need to make sure that nobody over this weight sits on the chair and breaks it. It also means that your kids will need to be careful when climbing on this piece of furniture.
How to clean an upholstered rocking chair?
Now that we’ve discussed some of the best options available, you’ve hopefully found your idea upholstered rocking chair. However, the work isn’t done yet. Like any upholstered furniture, your rocking chair is pretty susceptible to getting dirty. With that in mind, we’ve taken a look at your best options when it comes to cleaning an upholstered rocking chair.
Generally speaking, you’ll want to treat the upholstery on your rocking chair like the material on other piece of furniture. If you’re looking to just give the chair a general clean, your best option is to use an upholstery cleaner or alternative. The likes of a steam cleaner or even a carpet cleaner will do a similar job. It all comes down to how delicate your upholstery is, so you’ll want to keep that in mind when cleaning your furniture.
On the other hand, if you’re looking to remove a small stain from the rocking chair, you’ll want to instead use a stain removal product. We’ve found that rubbing alcohol works as your best option when it comes to this.
Final Word on upholstered rocking chairs for Sale
In conclusion, an upholstered rocking chair can be a formidable option when it comes to interesting new furniture for your home. They’re also incredibly comfortable to just sit back and relax in at the end of a long day. You won’t go far wrong by choosing any of the three options featured in this article, just remember to consider what you need to get out of your upholstered rocking chair before buying.